About First Aid in Mental Health Course
First Aid in Mental Health aims to equip the individual to recognize common mental health problems, provide initial support and guide the person towards appropriate professional help.
SERA’s First Aid in Mental Health course focuses on common groups of disorders among the adult community. These are Major Depressive Disorders, Anxiety Disorders and Mood Disorders.
This course is targeted at individuals without prior knowledge of mental health issues.
|Day 1||Day 2|
|Module 1: Introduction to Mental Health||Module 4: Helping People with Mood Disorders|
|Module 2: Helping People with Depression||Module 5: Introduction to Active Listening|
|Module 3: Helping People with Anxiety||Module 6: Introduction to PADI Model|
Why First Aid in Mental Health?
When someone has a cardiac arrest, we would know that we need to call 995 for an ambulance and provide CPR. But when someone is having a panic attack, do we know what to do?
First Aid in Mental Health aims to equip individuals:
- Initiate and provide immediate response to individuals who may be having mental disorders or breakdowns
- Ensure safety of the individual and themselves while providing help
- Provide assurance to the individual and alert the police or emergency response team when de-escalation fails
📍 Training Location: 51 Cuppage Road, #03-03, behind Centrepoint, Somerset
🕐 Course Duration: 2-Day [16 hours]
🧮 Course Fee:
$428.00 (incl of GST) Now: $299.60 (incl of GST)
- HR personnel, department heads
- Working Adults / Students who are keen to provide mental wellness support in the workplace / school
At the end of the First Aid in Mental Health course the trainees will be able to:
- Recognize symptoms of mental health problems
- Provide initial support to those experiencing mental distress
- Provide active listening to individuals who are experiencing mental distress
- Incorporate the concept of Problem Definition-Attempted Solution-Desired Goals-Intervention (P.A.D.I) model into active listening and question skills.
The course is a classroom-based training with lectures, hands-on and role play activities.
First Aid in Mental Health course
Day 1 –
Module 1: Introduction to Mental Health
- Overview of Mental Health Issues in Singapore
- Busting the common myths and misconception about mental illness
- Identifying stress and burnout
- Provide self-care
Module 4: Major Depressive Disorder
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder
- Identify the treatment and resources for Major Depressive Disorder
Module 3: Anxiety Disorders
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
- Provide initial help to individuals with panic attacks
- Identify the treatment and resources for Anxiety Disorder
Day 2 –
Module 4: Mood Disorders
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Mood Disorders
- Identify the treatment and resources for Mood Disorders
Module 5: Introduction to Active Listening
- Mastering the Art of Non-verbal communication skills – S.O.L.E.R.
- Mastering the Skills of Active Listening
Module 6: Introduction to PADI Model
- Identify the concepts of the Problem Definition-Attempted Solution-Desired Goals-Intervention (P.A.D.I) model
- Structure a conversation using PADI Model
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate in First Aid in Mental Health course, accredited by ACC Institute of Human Services.
- Able to speak, read and understand English effectively
- Recommended age: From 16 years old and above
- Course conducted by Professional Counselor with a minimum qualification of Master of Counselling from Singapore Counseling Center / ACC Institute of Human Services
- Small Class Facilitation
- SERA Mental Wellness First Aid Course Guide
- Group activities, case scenarios and role play
16 hours (2 days from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm for each day)
Main differences between the courses
Psychological First Aid aims to provide you with basic knowledge and skills to help adults who are affected by the crisis in life. The crisis which includes man-made, natural and personal can be overwhelming for an individual to cope. By applying Psychological First Aid skills, you will be able to support the individual through the crisis and refer them to professional help like counselors.
First Aid in Mental Health aims to equip individuals with knowledge and skills to recongise individuals who may be going through Mental Health issues and provide immediate help. With early recognition and treatment, most will recover well and return to productive lives.
These two courses are different and do not overlap with each other.
What our customers say about our courses
I had been to a few places for OFA course, but they were not well-equipped in managing people relationship. SERA has demonstrated as a leader in people-centric. They value my team, our goal for taking up the course and committed to see us through the course successfully. Kudos to you! SERA is indeed a 5 star rated institution. I will be back for more!!! 😀👍
Y. Y. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I’ve attended the First Aid and AED courses at a few providers before and while those were good, what they have at SERA is a whole lot better.
I attended their First Aid and AED refresher course and having attended others before, thought it would be pretty much the standard two day course. At the end of the two days however, I came away from it not only better educated but having really really enjoyed myself! 😀👍
Sally N. X. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
We will like to thank SERA for the 3 days of First Aid and AED courses that were attended by our coaches. SERA management have been super helpful with our last minute request and giving us valuable feedback and updates. We are looking forward for more people to be certified and of course for those who have taken the certificates, we look forward to join back the class 2 years later, before the expiring of our existing certificates. 😀👍